As a kid when I first heard of a Carrot Cake I refused to eat it! After all who puts carrot in a cake? Well, how I ate Carrot Cake for the first time calls for another blog. For now let me share my super innovative recipe for Carrot cake with Chocolate Ganache with you.
Baking is a skill I picked up only recently and I have only one regret that why didn’t I start earlier! Yes it is meticulous when it come to proportions, temperature and time, but also it gives you so much creative freedom and most of all it is extremely addictive and therapeutic!
So when I discussed my Carrot Cake with Chocolate Ganache recipe with a fellow baker, she totally rejected my idea and said that cream cheese frosting is the done thing. Even though I agreed with her, I was pretty reluctant to try my idea.
Well before I share the recipe tell me tell you why I decided to make a Carrot Cake with a Chocolate Ganache and not the regular cream cheese frosting! I have never been a fan of cream cheese frosting! I find it dense, overly sweet and to be honest pretty flavourless, while on the other hand I absolutely love a moist carrot cake. But every time I ate a carrot cake without a frosting/ topping/ ganache, I could feel something is missing and then my Eureka moment happened- after all who doesn’t like chocolate that too when it comes like a super yum ganache on the top of a cake! And lo and behold the recipe was born!
So let me not be anymore gaga about my Carrot Cake with Chocolate Ganache but actually share the recipe with you. So here it is.
For the Cake:
200 ml vegetable oil (any odourless and tasteless oil)
1 ½ cups sugar (check the sweetness of the carrots and adjust accordingly)
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
½ tsp nutmeg powder
2 large sized carrots
For the Chocolate Ganache:
4tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
4 tbsp nutella (you can use any chocolate spread of your choice)
½ cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp sugar (as per your taste)
½ cup chocolate shavings/ chips (optional- for garnishing)
1. Whip the oil and the sugar together one that is done add the eggs, and whip again. (I used the whipping mode in the standard mixer and it turned out just fine.)
2. Peel the carrots and blend to a mash, use a couple of table spoons of milk if needed.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients- flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and gradually fold it in the whipped mixture.
4. Slowly fold in the carrot mash in the cake mix, do no over mix as that might over aerate the batter. Check the consistency of the cake, it should be very runny or thick.
5. Pour the mixture in a buttered baking tin and bake for 45 minutes at 1800 C in a pre heated oven.
6. For the chocolate ganache- add milk, sugar, butter and cocoa powder to a pan and whisk repeatedly to ensure that there are no lumps. Cook till the mixture is glossy and and have a slightly thin pouring consistency.
7. Remove from flame and fold in the chocolate spread. The chocolate ganache is now ready.
8. Let the carrot cake cool on the wire for atleast half an hour before you pour the chocolate ganache on it. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings and enjoy!
Finally dig into this delicious Carrot Cake with Chocolate Ganache to believe how good it actually tastes!! Bon Appetit!!
Remember to come back and tell me your experience with this cake!